Thursday 19 March 2009

Is there more in a handshake?

I work in a support environment which means people have problems, they raise this as an issue and then I go to fix it. Then, they have another problem, they raise this as an issue and I go to fix it again and this goes on ,and on, and on, ariston (you gotta be around in the 80's to the get the ariston tv advert reference). So, the other day I was fulfilling my role in this little circle of life in the support world when an issue gets raised to help set up a new PC.

I rock up at this fella’s desk and I introduce myself and he shakes my hand, which is not a very common occurrence in my role (normally the people I see are already rolling about the floor banging their hands and kicking their feet when I turn up) but does happen from time to time. I help set the PC up for the guy and he is making small talk as I do this and I’m all done and dusted within 10 minutes.

Naturally, I have done such a good job and the guy starts to thank me as I collect my blackberry and gather my papers and goes to shake my hand. So I extend my hand and shake the fella’s hand and it was at this point he says to me "I think you should make a trip to the men's room". Now I am taken aback by this and a hundred and one thoughts are running through my mind, like oh my god is this guy propositioning me or something? Does he think I am gay? Am I that good looking that even guy's are fancying me now? Dammmmm. Now I am not homophobic or anything but I was really starting to panic simply because I am not normally in these situations or attract this kind of attention. So I’m standing there sweating and what’s making things worse is this guy is still holding onto my hand for what must be seconds now seems like an eternity! The only rationale that comes to my mind is that I must of misheard him, so I reply "errrrrr, sorry?" and he then replies but in a sterner and clearer voice "I think you should make a trip to the men's room!"

Now I am really starting to panic and for god sake why is he is still holding onto my hand? OK so my mind is racing now am I am thinking I just going to have to break this death lock handshake he has on me and run, probably right through the wall leaving a perfect silhouette of my body behind me! And then just as I think this could not get any worse the guy starts reaching down to his crouch and gesturing with his hand and that when I decided enough was enough. I snatch my hand back and mumble in a flustered way "I’ve got to go!" When he stopped me and said "James, your flies are undone" hmmm guess I ain't as hot as I think, but what a weird way to tell someone their flies are undone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment